Re: Hans vs. Bailout

To: "Doug Odom" <dlodom@charter.net>, "Sparky" <wmtsmith@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: Hans vs. Bailout
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:44:09 -0600
Every accident I have been on and it is a lot that have canopies the first
time over the canopy is ripped off. Getting to a driver requires removing
sheet metal, cutting off steering columns, and removing other items to
safely extract the drivers. Very few drivers a aware of what is going on and
don't know if they are hurt or not.

A lot of care and planning goes into every rescue. There is no script
written as every crash is different and require  different means for the
rescue. When Doug crashed at El Mirage the car was upside down and we had to
make sure there was no head movement before rolling the car over and this
can be tricky.

As I said this is a good topic and we can all learn a lot. Believe me the
association does a lot of planning and have many discussions regarding all
safety issues.
Glen