RE: E85 and alternate fuels - non LSR

To: "Dick J" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, "Rich Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>,
Subject: RE: E85 and alternate fuels - non LSR
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 18:02:06 -0500
Dick;

When I was a kid (Army Brat), we lived in Japan ('47-'50) soon after the
end of the war. It was common to see cars & trucks that were "charcoal
burners" back then. Charcoal or coke (not that kind, Keith) was placed
into a container, sealed up, and then heated by an open fire to drive
off a combustible gas which was then piped into a carb and ran the
engine-- for a while. Every few miles it was necessary to re- fill the
"tank" and stoke up a fire again. Needless to say, these contraptions
disappeared as soon as gasoline was available.

There were a few of those left in Germany back in '54, too. They also
disappeared quickly.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ