Re: El Mirage Points?

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: El Mirage Points?
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:42:07 -0800
Facts,
     It was brought to the attention of the SCTA board that John Noonan ran
the same motorcycle in two classes at the November 2005 El Mirage meet. This
is against rule V section C (page 5) of the El Mirage procedures. Mike
Mangelli (SCTA president) talked to John and he admitted doing so. John said
he did not know it was against the rules. He entered two bikes and one broke
before it made a run. They ran the one bike on Saturday, changed the body
work from the broken bike to the good one Saturday night and ran it again on
Sunday.The club reps voted to strip John of all the points he earned in 2005
and deny him any points for the May meet of 2006. The vote was 3 against (me
and the other two SDRC reps) and everyone else (25 or so) for.

Personal opinion
     I was amazed how quickly this all came about. In the past rules
violations that make it to the board/reps meeting take at least two meetings
to come to a consensus. We generally discuss the problem, take it back to
the clubs for discussion and vote at the next meeting. The board learned of
this violation by anonymous emails that included pictures of the two bikes
on the days in question. Evidently someone has been thinking about this
since November of 2005. Several people seemed to think John did what he did
deliberately and knew it was illegal. John was not present to defend
himself.
Jim Dincau