Fuel Line Economics

To: lsr list autox <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Line Economics
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 07:42:53 -0800 (PST)
Looking back on my fuel system upgrade (just finished yesterday), I thought I'd
pass on something to anybody who's newer than me and might be getting ready to
buld a fuel system.  I'm working on a budget (who isn't??) and did a lot of
thrashing to try and figure out how to save a buck or two.

  One thing that I considered was using only a short braided stainless line out
of the cell, then running a solid tube for the length of the car, and another
short braided stainless to the carb.  This probably would save a few bucks with
3/8" line, but with 1/2" line it turned out to be not worth it.  The biggest
cost in 1/2" line is the fittings, not the line (although the line draws about
$6 per foot!)!! To use the rigid tube would require a minimum of four fittings,
whereas the full-length braided line needs only two fittings.  The cost of the
additional fittings would have brought the total cost up to nearly what the ten
foot section of stainless braid costed, and I figured that by omitting the two
extra fittings, I was also omitting two possible leaks.  Bottom line, don't
even try to save a buck or two on the fuel system.  Just count it as safety
equipment, and get the best of everything.  It's not going to cost that much
more money, and it will make you feel a lot better
 knowing you've done it right.

  A special thanks to Sparky, who was here over the holidays and helped me
solve this problem.  Bill, I routed it exactly the way we planned, and it
worked out great!  Good thing you suggested the extra four inches too - it was
exactly the right length with those inches added.

  Dick J
  In East Texas