New East Coast LSR Site?

To: "Land Speed Digest" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: New East Coast LSR Site?
From: "Pile,Chris" <zoombot@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 00:12:31 -0500
    List -

    I was just reading the November '05 issue of "Air & Space", and found that
NASA is looking for a different mission (or usage) of the 15,000 feet long by
300 feet wide runway at the Shuttle Landing Facility (X68) in Florida.

    Jim Ball - the spaceport's developmental manager is looking for ways to
"expand access" with a "reasonable fit" for any "pathfinder" projects which
would give NASA reason to keep the gates open and the facility utilized,
instead of just locking it up to rot. Specifically, Mr. Ball says - "Our
intent is for the runway to be available to non-NASA users with a demonstrable
reason to need its special characteristics".

    These features happen to be length, width, and remoteness. I also seem to
remember something from the History Channel about the one-piece concrete
surface being perfectly flat.

    Hmm..... - Chris Pile aka aircap