Wind tunnel testing

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wind tunnel testing
From: M Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:50:24 -0400
Hey guys & gals, I only report the topics that may be of interest to lsr
racers around the world.  But the five layer suit still holds up even
without SFi tagging!!!

Thacker and Shine is an American team out of the So-Cal workshops, but it
just so happens that Tony Thacker is a Brit now resident in the US.  The
car was in Britain for shows and a rod run and it would seem a wind tunnel
test!  The car was shown to the British public at the Goodwood Festival of
Speed meeting - not the best setting for it to run but it would have
expanded the lsr message like others before it.  As far as I know even with
a Brit on the team they have stuck to the salt for speed ........... and
they are using an SCTA class car after all!

As to who has the best wind tunnels ....... it all seems to depend upon
construction and calibration.  Even some of the grand prix teams can get it
wrong and the 'rubbish' results mean poor car performance.  There are not
many full size tunnels available, most are model sizes and subject to scale
difficulties.

As to British electric cars in wind tunnels, I know of only the Bluebird
Electric that has made it into a tunnel - indeed the same MIRA full scale
tunnel (which does not have a moving ground plane at this size.

'e=motion' has been suffering from some very strong electric fields in the
'brain' of the controller.  These are said to be sorted and testing will
start again in the UK next month.  As to when the FIA International record
will be challenged we will all have to wait and see.

Joe - as the Brits hold the outright LSR we ARE probably the best at
getting the right numbers from any simulation/cfd/tunnel/model testing
(LOL).

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England