Race Car Inspections

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Race Car Inspections
From: "Gary LaRonge" <saltracer552@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 09:58:15 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Yesterday morning at 5 AM Mayf & Cathy , with their Sunbeam in tow, Bonnie &
I with our Lakester in tow, and Dale & Mary leading the way departed for El
Mirage for an SCTA courtesy inspection. We arrived at about 10 AM after a
stop in Baker,Ca for breakfast.
We got to the lake in time to help the SCTA folks setup their sun shades
which were needed in particular after 12N when the temp reached around 110.
When the inspectors had completed the racer's car inspections and enough
inspector-power arrived they were kind enough to put their expertise to work
on our cars. We were extremely satisfied to find that no non-compliance
areas existed in our cars. The three inspectors that put eyes on them did
offer many recommendations which will be implemented. Suggestions for us and
the Lakester......... Here are a few many of which are fundamental but they
seem to get overlooked or forgotten especially in the last minute rush to
get a new car to the race track...........suit up get, get in the car, belt
in and insure that you can reach all controls. While doing that, make sure
that your arm restraints do not allow any possibility of your hand/arms
extending out of the car. Same for legs. Be positive that no way exists for
your legs to get in harms way. Think of these scenarios in worst case
conditions not when sitting in the shop. We found that we will need extra
leg containment. I didn't think my legs could out, an inspector proved they
could. Same thing with hands. Again these scenarios are being addressed
under what could happen in the most violent of conditions when rolling,
slamming , banging, etc.
We have a fuel tank roll over valve that was found to be inadequate. It's
the check ball variety and when on it's side there is no checking action. We
need to plumb in a hose routed under the car from the check valve that will
not allow fuel to run out if the car is on it's side. Make sure the "nubs"
of zip ties are trimmed off flush to prevent flesh wounds. Not good to cut
up a rescuer when they are trying to get someone out of a car. Simple things
like the tails of seat belts being long enough to flap in the breeze and
create a distraction were talked about. The end result............we now
have time to prepare a safer car in the shop and not try to do it after we
towed to Bonneville or turn around and take it back home.
Our sincere thanks to the SCTA Inspectors Jim, Mike and the third one whose
name I failed to find out for lending us their knowledge and experience.
Gary & Bonnie LaRonge
#552 D/G Lakester