Re: DIY distributor cap

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DIY distributor cap
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:30:59 -0400
Wow, that's a great amount of information, thanks!

    The reason I suggested Nylon is I can get blocks of it cheap/free
from a dental school near my parents, but it looks like that is a bad
idea all around. Delrin sounds great, assuming I can weasel some of
that cheap too. I did think about casting, but I'd really like to make
the contacts replaceable- plus I have a machinist that's gung ho for
this project, but it's still a viable idea that I'll chew on.

    What this is all for is a Lincoln flathead V12. The stock ignition
is getting very pricey, and IMO the quality of the available parts is
getting really poor too. I've seen Jaguar distributors modified to
work, one with a bevel drive modified from a V8 bevel drive, and one
with an adaptor shooting right out the front (which all took up way
too much room).

I would like to pervert a V8 set up, like this-->
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/dept_id.697/display_id.531/qx/Product.htm

and make a crab style distributor cap with 12 terminals. I'll be
taking a closer look at one of these soon, to see if there's room
internally for a six stator setup. I don't want to go with a CNP or
Electromotive type setup. It's all up in the air now, but it's getting
really close to the ignition being the hold up for getting this thing
running. I'm open to any other suggestions.  Also, Ed Weldon, were you
on the 'Homebrew Autos' list many years ago? (A list run by Fred
Breitweister (sp?)). I have a bunch of saved emails from that list
about bending and modifying Plexiglas/lexan, and the name Weldon rings
a bell.

-Aron-