Re: Lubricants, etc...

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Lubricants, etc...
From: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:59:21 -0700
Hi mayf.

I would choose a Group 4 base synthetic such as Mobil1, Amsoil, Red Line, Royal
Purple,
.... The other major brands (Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc.)  use a Group 3 base.
See:
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Gear_Lubricants.aspx
I'd use Mobil1 75W-90 because it will circulate and cool better at high speed
than 75W-140.
My '99 Ford factory shop manual specifies a change interval for the
differential
under heavy duty
usage to be 5,000 miles if petroleum lube is used and if synthetic is used it
doesn't ever need to be
changed.

Other oil's do not have the extreme EP additives (sulfur based) that hypoid
gears must have.
If your differential used spiral bevel gears, Synthetic ATF would be my choice
for a lightly
loaded application like yours.

The Group 4 base stock normally used is PAO, PAG is much better but extremely
expensive.
The Group 3 base stock is petroleum.

Bryan