LSR Scale Models

To: <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: LSR Scale Models
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:07:37 -0700
Kieth--
You raised the subject of model railroads. This is an old hobby of mine,
inactive at present, but waiting for me to get too old for race cars.  On cold
winter nights I've dabbled in a mix of the two with respect to HO scale model
cars.  There's some interesting possibilities here.  Models are tiny
(3.5mm/foot or about 2" long) and will test you eyesight and model building
skills.  It wouldn't surprise me if nobody has ever tried to build a
Bonneville or dry lakes diorama in this scale.  Would be perfect for a coffee
table, wall hanging, dashboard or rear package shelf in a car (stick with
metal or wood models).  Starting line, Timing stand, Inspection, pit scene,
impound, fueling--lots of possibilities.
Check out www.walthers.com  in the advanced search type in "Jordan" for the
manufacturer and item 242 for a neat plastic A-V8 highboy kit, 243 for the 32
coupe. "Alloy Forms" metal kits 50's cars incl. 49 Merc, 50 Ford, 56 ford
pkup.  "Busch" 1973 Trans Am (finished, not a kit).  "Classic Metal Works" 70
Chevelle (finished, not a kit).  "Herpa" 1985 Camaro (finished, not a kit).
"Trident" various US prototype vans and emergency vehicles.  "Wheel Works" 32
Ford coupe & 34 pickup metal kits. "JL innovative" motorcycle metal kits.
Best bet is to buy Walther's catalog.
This scale lends itself well to hand carving streamlined car bodies out of
basswood or balsa.  Liners, lakesters, modified roadsters, comp coups.
Challenge is painting numbers and graphics. Wheels are simple lathe turnings
with needles or music wire axles.  Solder up roll cages out of brass wire.
Punch a steering wheel out of celluloid and paint in the rim and spokes.  Also
there are hundreds of types of HO scale people and other things like miniature
tools, jacks and tool boxes (JL Innovative).
Ed Weldon