RE: Rivets

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "LSR List"
Subject: RE: Rivets
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:52:33 -0500
Keith;

If your solid rivets are too long, they can be cut to a shorter length.
There is a rivet cutter that does a nice job of shearing the shank
without buggering it up.

You can usually find solid rivets on eBay at bargain prices. I don't
have my handbook here right now but I think you should have 1.5 to 2
times its diameter sticking out. Use type AD; these are aluminum alloy
2117 so they are not real hard but still have decent strength.

Just for reference, countersunk (flat head) types are AN426 or MS20426
and universal head types are AN470 or MS20470.

Space the rivets about 8 to 10 times the rivet diameter and don't place
rivets closer than about 3 diameters to the edge of the panel.

There are good blind rivets on the market that are stronger than solid
rivets. These aren't hardware-store variety "Pop Rivets", though. Huck
and Cherry make them but they are expensive. CherryMax is an example of
an aerospace- quality blind rivet that is designed for high shear
strength and vibration resistance. An Avex rivet is a lower cost
compromise that isn't bad at all.

Practice on scrap panels first!

I hope this helps.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ