RE: non lsr: mountaineering boots

To: "Rice, James" <James.Rice@lennoxhp.com>
Subject: RE: non lsr: mountaineering boots
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:15:55 -0500
I wore the bunny boots in 2002-03, they are really warm , as long as you
have extra, and dry, socks, gotta change socks about
every 4 hours with them, as they do not breath at all.  word was, "Change
your socks, change your attitude." they also have an internal air chamber,
keeps them warm, but you have to open the valve ifn you enter an airplane,
or they really squeeze your foot on gaining altitude, sometimes they'll
'POP" too, ruining the insulation value of the air chamber and making them
a cold boot., but walking in them is a pain, to make them warm you have to
wear them oversize, so your foot slides around in them, and it makes you
tired quickly, also, crampons don't work well with them, and I'll really
need crampons for this job, working the edge of an Ice cliff...
  I'm looking for a glacier boot, yeah two part, plastic, or plasiticized
leather, and a fitted inner boot, something that a crampon will latch on
to, has a flexible sole for walking on mostly flat ice, but will do
occasional frontpointing. yes and is warm too.. right now am looking at, oh
about $500-650 for a set of boots, crampons, and overboots/gaiters. I can
get about 50% of it refunded though, so it aint bad. besides, its kinda
like tools, you gotta have 'em, and might as well get the best.....kinda
like Snapon, I just liked the feel of the wrenches in your hand, and the
look too, bright shiney chrome.....and the tinkle they make when dropped,
its a different sound too then other wrenches...anyway, I'll keep you
posted as to which boot I get, not that it matters much, but maybe somebody
here might need to know in the future...and thanks all who emailed me, this
list really is a great resource..

           John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
            Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                  Bonneville Salt Flats
           H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                  144.396 MPH set 2000
       MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                     95.193 MPH set 2001
                 Antarctic Ice Driller Oct02-Jan03