RE: Compound curve body

To: 2weldons@earthlink.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Compound curve body
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:25:03 +1000
Hey guys here is the down under methods lol I use
sketch or draw /design , old method pencil/paper  ( my way ) or cad on pc, I
then make a scale model 1:10 or 1:6  cheap way to test design and the 1:6
can be used in a wind tunnel if so desired also changes can be made at this
stage without much cost.
I have used 3 methods each with success  I call them freestyle  as the mould
/ buck can only be used 1 time  usually
balsa/craftwood  and 2 pack polyurathane foam liquid   ,make wooden cross
sections of design ( craft wood )  ,then fill in with balsa length wise
strips in a latice form work,cut shape and sand to final form,  mix and pour
in foam  sand to final shape , cover with ( as you call it sheet rock mud
lol) sand smooth ,wax and PVC , then lay up the glass and resin
2nd is very similar  but you  use polyurathane sheet  instead of liquid
3rd  I make a tubular metal frame /formwork,  fill in/criss cross  with thin
aluminium strips to aproximate final shape ,cover with thin plastic sheeting
( i use the type you wrap your lunch in ), then apply a paper mache , cover
with plaster / gyprock cement ( this is what we call sheet rock mud )  sand
to final shape  wax and pvc  , then lay up  glass and resin
warning  as has ben stated  you will spend a great deal of time during the
process and after filling and sanding  ad infinanitum  , i finish up the
fiberglass with body repair filler ( bog as we call it )  this is the most
time consuming job and the main drawback to the above methods , but all in
all any type of compound curve can be made and a reasonable end product can
be achieved by almost any one , though it does help if you have a bit of an
artistic flare
Gary

What's your house worth? Click here to find out:
http://www.ninemsn.realestate.com.au