RE: Stepped Headers

To: "Ed Van Scoy" <lsr128@msn.com>,
Subject: RE: Stepped Headers
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 07:28:22 -0500
I would start with this. Using words like 'worthless' and 'required' is the
same as using 'never' and 'always'. Fairly dangerous thing to do in
engineering. I did read most of the site with great interest though. I
personally got the impression that 'Ed' of 'Headers by ED' was of the
opinion that everyone was wrong but him as well as he gets no recognition
for his achievements. All I can say is read every page on the site and see
what you think. He does use a ton of empirical data and no engineering units
though.

Now for the real question are they worthless?
Nothing has no worth at all other than the fuel you left on the ground and
the amount of altitude above your plane... possibly 'helpful' might be a
better word to describe those situations. I have seen cars win with both
designs. Maybe the one with the stepped headers could have gone faster and
maybe not. I would think like everything else it is all a matter of testing.
Were the stepped headers the first set put on and nothing else tested or
were some sensible header designs tested and the stepped ones worked the
best? As a side note to all this I think if I had to build a set of headers
I would rather build a set where the next tube just slid over the previous
one to keep all the fussy fitting to a minimum.

Your mileage may vary and always do what the torque meter says is right...
Dave