RE: Spoilers vs. vents

To: albaugh_neil@ti.com, staiger3@starband.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spoilers vs. vents
From: Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:02:18 -0700
Neil, John,

No they don't work well in reverse (even though you see them used that way).
The dropping floor of the NACA duct creates a low pressure area and the
S-curved sides create a vortex which pulls air down into the throat of the
duct without extending up out of the original surface.

A rear facing scoop should be of equal area or even expanding area for best
effect.

Dale C.

                John;

                If I remember correctly, NACA ducts depend on laminar flow
to work
                efficiently and by the time airflow over a sports or comp
coupe gets to the
                rear it's pretty turbulent.

                I don't know if NACA ducts are reciprocal-- that is, if they
work "in
                reverse."

                Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ

                !

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer.