Down Force Spoiler - - Aeronautics Question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Down Force Spoiler - - Aeronautics Question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:44:59 -0800 (PST)
I've been studying every door slammer I can find to determine the best way to
get down force on the back of my Studebaker, and a basic question comes to
mind.  The most common method I have found is to slap a big spoiler on the back
of the trunk lid.  That positions the spoiler  right in the middle of
turbulence where the air flow has already separated from the body. Wouldn't it
make more sense to use a smaller spoiler (maybe only 1" tall) at the top of the
rear window where the laminar flow is still tight against the curve of the body?

Dick J
In East Texas