RE: dimples

To: "'Glen Barrett'" <speedtimer@charter.net>,
Subject: RE: dimples
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:09:59 -0600
Glen;

I've seen that Lexus commercial a half-dozen times and I have a hard time
believing those dimples are anything more than a marketing gimmick. The
airflow under a Lexus is probably so turbulent that they wouldn't do
anything constructive. Race cars can have a pretty smooth undersurface but
in a production car with its exhaust pipes, mufflers, and everything else
hanging down under there, the airflow surely must be turbulent.

Notice that their video shows that Lexus suspended on a dolly that is
rotating in mid-air-- not on its wheels on a road surface. The smoke stream
looks OK in that demonstration but I suspect that it's another story in real
life.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ