Re: Motorcycles racecd for money on the salt?

To: todd <todd@twinjugs.com>,
Subject: Re: Motorcycles racecd for money on the salt?
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:28:33 -0700
It's interesting that the two racing organizations that currently sponsor
racing on the salt prepare their own courses with shared equipment.  $15
fees are collected from every racer for course preparation.  If Dennis
intends using the courses that SCTA/BNI and USFRA prepare he would need to
step up and pay for separate course prep or pay to use the drags and other
course prep equipment.  Those are not his to use without some payment.

The $50 seems low if he is offering any insurance and I doubt that you would
want to race there without some help in case of an incident.  I have no idea
of what kind of sponsorship he has but there's a fast $7,000 you have to
come up with up front to satisfy all the BLM and Tooele County fees,
insurance, sanitary requirements, safety personnel, and so on.  Then there's
the cost of acceptable timers and their equipment, the aforementioned course
prep, surveying, marking and so on.

USFRA offers 5 runs on the short (1 mile) course for $125 but the bike has
to pass an inspection before it can run.  You get a tee shirt and FIVE
timing slips for that amount.  If you want to go a longer distance you pay
the same as any other racer on the long course with either organization ...
AND ... with SCTA?BNI you can set a recognized World Record if you go fast
enough in your class.

More power to Dennis if he can pull it off.  It's not that easy to do
without help from many people other than sponsor $$$$$.

Wes