Re: Aluminum Front Wheel on MC Streamliner: Gyroscopic Effect

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, <voc@jtan.com>, <dubieko@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Aluminum Front Wheel on MC Streamliner: Gyroscopic Effect
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:39:45 -0800
Bill
Some years back Chet Herbert built a 4 wheel drive 4 engine streamliner and
used alum wheel/tire design
for the front dr. They were about 32" in dia and 8" wide with a almost flat
surface. They were like the flywheel as you state, vibrated because they
pack salt and was very hard to steer according to Don Vesco after a couple
of test passes.

They came back the next time with rubber bonneville tires and it made a big
differance in handling and did not pack salt on the tire. Enough tire flex
to not allow the salt to stick to them.

Glen