Re: 50cc Bikes - FIM

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 50cc Bikes - FIM
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (Pork Pie)
Date: 30 Oct 2003 20:35 GMT
Hi List,
At first - I'm back on the list, was off for one week without any reason....
But this gave me time to read the nearly 600 e-mails from list which I\download
after I was back home from the World Final....

Malcolm, got a problem to understood your "frozen" Kreidler record.

The FIM done never a different in streamlined and sit'er. in 1956,
when NSU broke with Herz the 200 mph barrier, he was faster with his
500 cc bike as the 250 cc streamliner.  Due to this that Herz crashed
the 350 cc streamliner, NSU got no chance to use the 350 cc to break
the 500 cc (sitting) bike - which was easily possible. But if they
broke them, the 350 cc would be the record for the 350, the 500, the
750 and the 1000 cc class, which was to this time also the unlimited
class.

The Kreidler record was broken on the 3. August 1981 with 224.580 kmh
for the flying kilo and on the 4. August 1981 with 222.026 kmp for the
flying mile by a Dutch with a cigar shaped bike, very similar than the
Kreidler cigar from 1965, with one big different. The helmet was not
inside the aerodynamic body shape. But Huberts (this is the record
holders name) got the advantage to run a normal paved road, with a
much better grip than at Bonneville and also nearly on sea level.

To Jack, as Wes wrote before, set a record in a class which was a open
record to the time of the Speedweek. A big blow up of the engine
stopped him to increase the record, after he proved the concept idea
behind the Theorem IV. Some days before World Final Jack, a friend of
him and myself checked the streamliner with a new (other) 50 cc engine
outside of San Jose in the fields. Jack was not happy with the result
so he cancelled another try during the World Final.

See ya

Pork Pie