RE: fire extinguishers and race cars

To: "'Scott Cowle'" <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: fire extinguishers and race cars
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:38:55 -0600
Scott;

>From my experience here are answers to your question #2:

Building your own car:

Pro:    You get exactly the car that you want.
        It is highly rewarding and gives you a sense of accomplishment.
        You learn an amazing amount about a wide variety of subjects.
        Modifying it won't be something you'll worry about.
        If you suceed, the success is yours.

Con:    It takes a lot longer than you thought it would.
        It costs a lot more than you thought it would.
        It requires a good-sized space to work.
        It requires lots of tools.
        It requires knowledge & craftsmanship that you might not have.
        The project requires a very tolerant wife/girlfriend.

Buying a car:

Pro:    You are ready to run almost immediately.
        The car's performance is a known quantity.
        An historical car has intrinsic value.

Con:    You need to spend $$ all at one time.
        There are never many cars available to choose from.
        It may not be what you wanted, just the closest you could find.
        It may be a dissapointment.

I probably missed a few but that's the way I see it.

Regards,  Neil  Tucson, AZ