Re: Radiator or Tank

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator or Tank
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:48:01 -0500
First and foremost Arne... Welcome to the list... you will find a few great
minds here and the rest of us...  it's a great place to become a veteran in
short order.... ( and since cooking is part and parcel we'll move on to it )

Basically an air to water won't cool better then water to water if you have
lots of it.... ( okay Niagra falls isn't really available.. )  In other
words with air you have an infinite supply.... so you're right... you don't
have to carry it with you... so saturating your cooling source isn't a
problem.... but there is the issue of where this air comes from and how it
gets back out into the air stream....

Air is a pretty viscous material at higher speeds.... say 200mph plus...  so
if we consider our hero Mr Drag....  bringing air in to cool this puppy is
going to take HP to overcome the Drag.... and in our world we often have a
limited supply of this commodity...

Hence most folks desire to run a water system that isn't exposed to the
air... keep in mind you only have to extract the BTU's you have created by
the HP available...  so smaller HP stuff requires less cooling... or cooling
systems...

What we are trying to design with my junk is something that has a virtual
limitless supply of cooling for 5 miles.... plus I run an aluminum Block
which loses heat rapidly.... so pre-warming the car heats up the cooling
system a bit...

Again.... Welcome to the list....

Keith