Suspension Design and Test

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension Design and Test
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:45:23 -0700
Providing Keith is willing, we have a great opportunity to validate some of
the design philosophy for LSR cars. We have know data for the 249.1 mph run
out the back door at Speedweek for Keith's car with a rigid suspension. I
would bet that Keith has the corner weights for each wheel as well as
overall weight with driver. Keith and Dave know what the cars configuration
looked like before those runs and with a few basic measurements I suspect
that the suspension guru's on the list could make all the calcs to come up
with roll center, roll axis, stability criteria etc. Probably more than we
really want to know. Keith has now replaced the rigid rear end with a
modified 4 link with diagonal bar instead of a Panhard bar. Again, with a
few simple measurements I bet the gurus could tell us how much the car will
run at EM based on the premise that suspension helps top speed and knowing
the density altitude for any given day at EM ( and the power developed by
the motor along with the requisite aero junk and rolling loads). I would be
really interested in the data. My car is fully sprung using a 4 link and
struts at the front. So it is all relevant for me. Keith, you game? Nothing
required from you except maybe some data and a few extra measurements. The
only one that is problematic to get is that pesky Z axis cg location.

Which of the suspension gurus want to play providing Keith is willing? I do
not have a clue so I am out of the running here. Dave, John? Anybody with
the appropriate software?

I am a believer in suspension for a couple of reasons, one being that it is
easier on the driver and 2 it is easier on the car. Bump shock loads are
significantly reduced In magnitude and energy) in both instances and that
means a happier driver and car to me.

mayf