Thrust Power - wheeldriven & news

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thrust Power - wheeldriven & news
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:58:55 -0400
List,

So it comes to the fore again .........  if you want to run Thrust Power
you have to go to the sanction of FIA or FIM and run on private time
(should you use the salt or wish to run the Black Rock dirt).  And most US
racers on this list are not going to become involved with either concept it
seems.

And these special vehicle non wheeldriven classes only came about because
the American hot rodders of the early 60's did not see why the constraint
should be to have an Automobile - powered through the wheels - as defined
by the Europeans.  And you in the USA, post WWII, had many surplus power
units and people such as Art Arfons who could make use of them.

I can understand that US racers .......  who cannot readily run thrust
power at any organised event or who (just) prefer automobile and bike
classes ............. would not care too much about the performances of
thrust powered vehicles or want them on their track.  Seems as though the
wheel has turned full circle in the USA to return to a  pre1959 era.

As to when we will have a British bid for the wheeldriven car record - I
cannot be certain but there could be vehicles (yes plural) ready within the
decade.  One team has their engine ready (as Louise knows) and others have
planned concepts.  On two wheels,wheeldriven, Gabriel Uttley is moving his
V8 wheeldriven streamliner project forward but intends to run in South
Africa not at Bonneville under FIM - probably 2005.  In all case driving
will be from a central position - no need to worry about the wrong side
that the US drivers use ............

As to when the USA will challenge the Thrust SSC speed (yes Russel, the
sound of my posting was a challenge!) - I hope the US or perhaps Australia
(Rosco) will have a sound barrier attempt sometime in this decade too.

Good news - the Thrust powerd two wheeler Gillette Mach3 Challenger was not
damaged in the National Motorcycle Museum fire and could rocket ahead in
the future to obliterate the speeds (but not the records) set by any
wheeldriven two wheeled wheeldriven streamliner.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.