new classes

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: new classes
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:23:09 -0700
But, I though that if a minimum of three cars/owners/drivers or whatevers
could petition the board for a new class?
As I mentioned in an earlier email the 3=new class no longer exists. The
original intent was to have three separate individuals build vehicles to
establish a new class. This aborted to one person paying three entries and
running the same vehicle with three different numbers. The people who worked
this to their advantage were gone in a couple of years and we end up with a
class with no interest. The board is looking for long term commitment and a
class that sparks the interest of others to build and participate.

New classes are proposed all the time. Mostly there is no research or factors
given to establish a new class. What we get are "I want to run my Thunderbolt
Grease Slapper in a new class because I can't compete against existing
records. We can call the class Joe's Own and I will be the Worlds Fastest."
The establishment of the Classic Category took three years to hammer out. I
proposed the original basics some time back in the 80s. This category has
become very popular at both El Mirage and the salt with drivers gaining entry
into both of the 200 MPH clubs.

The intention of the board is to constantly police rule proposals that are
self serving and do not benefit the group as a whole. Another point is that
most of the rules changes do not appear in the proper format or before the
cutoff date, 10/01/xx. Changes are mentioned verbally or through email. This
year I received only three proposed changes that are correctly presented. You
may think that 'hey, this is a laid back, amateur type of deal so why can't we
just call someone on the phone and tell 'em to break all the classes into red
and blue cars and be done with it'.  Don't work that way, there are many, many
things going on that are difficult to handle without full time employees.
Unlike NASCAR, NHRA and other organizations the SCTA-BNI is administered by
volunteers on their own dime.

Bottom line? Do your homework, present the factors that will make us believe
that you deal will benefit mankind far into the future.

Dan Warner