Re: Total Loss or Alternator

To: Benn <karhu@california.com>
Subject: Re: Total Loss or Alternator
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:09:50 -0400
Here are some race venues and sanctioning bodies see if you can find the one
that does not use an alternator..
Cart
F1
Indy car
Winston cup
Alms
Scca
Pro rally
Off road trucks.. Walker Evan and all those guys..

Daytona 500 and others like it
24 hrs Daytona
24 hrs Le Mans
12 hrs sebring
indy 500
any Grand prix race you pick..
any Cart race you pick again..

The list is endless they all run an alternator and failures are very rare. Maybe
have to do a better job of installing it, use high quality belts, pulleys and
brackets and have no failures. The most common failure is to use passenger car
pulleys and belts along with the drive ratios that are suitable for low rpm use
in a street car but not a race car. Most street cars run the alternator very
fast compared to the crankshaft because the engine spends most of it's life
below 4000 rpm. If you run the same parts on a race car they will fail
eventually because the drive speed is too high. After market pulleys are made to
reduce the speeds to a realistic level and then the system is just as reliable
as those found on new cars. Do you worry about flipping a belt or an alternator
failure every time you start your street car? I sure don't..
Dave