Re: [Non LSR] Any Ford Tech's out there? Check light question

To: "Richard Kensicki" <richk@spartajunction.com>,
Subject: Re: [Non LSR] Any Ford Tech's out there? Check light question
From: "Jonathan Amo" <webmaster@landracing.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:36:46 -0600
Richard,

Well here is one that I can answer with the correct answer.

Short anwer is Yes, Yes and No

Long answer below.

Yes that check engine light can come on if gas cap is off or loose. This
will set a code in the OBD II of a PO4?? something in there is for evap and
egr functions is in the 400 range of these codes. IT will be a gross evap
leak.
Now lets take a close look at gross evap leaks.
Can the engine light come on when cap is removed with engine running.
Probably not. Why. Because the Evap Monitor has enanbling conditions to set
the code.
Here are some for ford Code PO440 (evap has a leak). Baro temp over 21.8",
intake air and coolant temp between 41 F and 84 F at startup. Inlet air and
coolant temp are within 11 F of each other at startup. (this also indicates
cold startup - you will undertand later), Fuel level between 26% and 74%.
Throttle angle between 9% and 35%. This is just to enable the monitor. So
you know what if your tank is full it will never run the monitor. If it
fails those critieria it will not retest the system unless those are all
met. Usually means an 8 hour soak. Now we also have blocking conditions but
that is another time.
So it may take a month or more for it to run the stupid monitor to set a
evap code, becuase it may not ever pass all the enabling criteria. Did I
mention that there is a Gross Evap Test and a small leak test, ooo another
time....

Now do you need to goto the dealer to get it erased? No. You can get a
generic OBDII reader and eraser for about $100 maybe even cheaper  at
different auto parts houses. I had spent over $6000 on mine with all the
bi-directional controls. Way more than an average person needs unless they
are in the business. Diagnosing screen im used to looking at have more than
40 different readings that are all used in diagnosing a complaint, every
reading is important, that another time also.

Need anymore info please dont hesitate to ask, I deal with them
everyday.....

Jonathan Amo