RE: ice racing

To: "'Russel Mack'" <rtmack@concentric.net>,
Subject: RE: ice racing
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:56:10 -0500
Russ;

It was because West Virginians are "as independent as a hog on ice".

Foraging did go on to some extent but it wasn't really serious or widespread
there. My great-great Aunt started a diary in January of 1863 when she was
fifteen years old and it was handed down in the family. She noted that one
afternoon some Confederate (she called them "Secesh"-- short for
secessionists or "rebs") cavalry stopped at their farm house in French Creek
for rest and to water their horses. She wrote that they had supper in the
house but the Lieutenant kept his men well behaved and they didn't take
anything.

If anyone is interested here are a few excerpts:
http://www.wvculture.org/history/journal_wvh/wvh48-1.html

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ