Re: Aaahhhh Painting...

To: drmayf@teknett.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aaahhhh Painting...
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 16:44:57 +1000
.
>That etching stuff is 2 weird for me. Anybody have any really good tips?
>Like take it to the paint shop? Or something similar? I need help.

Mayf
painting is one of the easy things  at least for me ,years ago I  did 4
years of night school and got me a trademans ticket in panel beating ( body
repair ) and spray painting  etch primer needs to be put on so that it is
translucent only one coat, the stuff in Aus has a green / yellow dye you
prep the metal with a phospheric acid diluted to 1-2 % strength and let it
dry ( it gets a white powdery look ) then 1 wet coat and let it flash off
leave for 24 hrs before undercoating  it contains an acid  therefore the
name etch primer which gives an excellent key for any further coats on top
of it , for aluminium  ( aussie spelling ) rub back with a 400 wet and dry
to give it a key and etch prime  I have never had any problems with it oh
and use a good degreaser on the ali before you start
if you need any more help or questions just ask
Gary