tarps/winds and frustration avoidance

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: tarps/winds and frustration avoidance
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 05:24:37 -0700
I have no complaints with the tarps I get from Costco.  Two 20X12 tarps were
around $15 and have been in use for three winters covering outdoor patio
furniture.  They are blue/silver.

Most salt veterans roll up their covers when they aren't in their pits ...
use shock cords to tie then to one of the long horizontal supports.  This
idea of waiting in long lines and then racing for the pit to roll up the
sunshade when the wind comes up requires a larger pit crew than most have.

Winds overnight can be nasty too and we usually fold up our tarps and put
them under our tables for insurance.  The large registration "tent" requires
six guys and fifteen minutes to put it back up every morning.  Perhaps with
our new (to us) trailers we will be able to avoid that.  I've wandered ALL
over the salt trying to locate cones that were scattered by winds so I
anchor everything I can to save time and allow myself time to enjoy the
experience.  Even the plastic chairs are at risk when they are stacked
together so we anchor them to a solidly staked upright with shock cords for
security.

The horizontal, mesh covers are the least affected by winds.  However, we
have had winds that maintained a 58 MPH speed for a day and those will tear
up and wear out anything.  It's just easier to avoid the problems in the
first place.

Wes