Re: data recorder

To: Doug Odom <popms@thegrid.net>
Subject: Re: data recorder
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 07:36:10 -0500
The Edelbrock Quick data is the absolute best bang for the buck I have seen. For
the money you will be hard pressed to get as many channels and the recording
time is more than long enough for LSR work. If it takes you more than 10 minutes
to make a pass it was not worth recording.. All channels can be field calibrated
for most any sensor and the accuracy is as good as the calibration put in. I
have many std. calibrations for sensors i have used with them. But do be aware
that good sensors are required for an accurate reading with any system. All the
temp calibrations are for K wire thermocouples and They are very good but plan
on spending around $75 for a good thermocouple for pressure sensing a good
commercial unit for fuel or oil pressure is in the 200 range. The internal
accelerometer is accurate as long as the unit is mounted correctly. You can not
bolt it down solid to the frame or floor boards as vibration from the car will
overpower it. But this is the same with any accelerometer. With the Edelbrock
unit be sure to get the fully loaded unit as they offer a few different models
that all look the same. The best place to buy them is either direct from
edelbrock or through Summit or possible Jegs.

If money is no object a Motec dash is the way to go but figure around 17 to 18 k
to get that done. I sell the Motec dash so this is not some fantasy price. For
air fuel sensing the best bang for the buck is the Motec PLM at around 1300 it
seems like a lot going in but in the long run worth every nickel. It is a wide
band unit with both an LED display and an analog output that can be wired into
the data recorder as well. It works with alky and diesel fuel as well as
gasoline also.

Whatever you do i would stay away from the performance trends systems. I am sure
they are probably fine but on two separate occasions he missed the delivery
dates so bad we had to rush and buy an Edelbrock system get it in the car and
configured at the last minute..

Dave