Re: Discovery Channel

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Discovery Channel
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:49:53 -0500
At 05:04 PM 2/14/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Did anyone catch the special last night on the Discovery Channel on parachute
>development. I really liked the wind tunnel stuff and how the different
>designs worked.
>The cross forms all seened to whip around, the best and most stable was the
>ribbon or ring slot type.I wish I had taped it, maybe next time it's on. Good
>information.
>Glen

Did,nt see the show, but will look for it...
 Take a look at the chute that "the Phoenix"  LSR truck uses.
this appears to be the same ring slot chute that we used in the
military for heavy drop operations, its used to do the extraction
from the aircraft either during a heavy equipment drop or a
low level extraction. During a cargo extraction there can be
no weird movements of the chute, needs to be very stable or it
puts the plane at risk.. in the case of a heavy drop, once the load is out of
the plane, it cuts loose when the mains deploy to lower the load to the ground.

 Got one of those in my garage for use when we get our rig to
run on the salt...

we always referred to them as extraction chutes,
I'll see if I can find a model or mark number on the canopy..

http://www.landracing.com/photos/speedweek/81302/images/DSC00014_jpg.jpg

           |\_/|
           (0_0)
          ==(Y)==