Re: Radio communication

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: Re: Radio communication
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:53:42 -0700
I'm late getting in on this thread ... my computer just visited the doctor
for a physical.

General Motors brought some very sophisticated telemetry with the pickup
truck they ran on the salt.  There were on board transmitters for the real
time readouts, a chase van with antenna to relay that information to the
motorhome and that had a satellite up-link to the GM Proving Grounds.  That
year we had some major problems with radios on the salt and none of their
stuff worked well enough to be of value.  We had been running the meets with
CB radios but after that year we went to the FM's we use today.

GM found out $$$ don't beat salt bugs ... or gremlins ... but once again
some big hopes were dashed on the reality of Bonneville.

Wes