RE: F1 Racers Traction Control and stuff

To: Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>, Nt788@aol.com, mullaneb@mccc.edu,
Subject: RE: F1 Racers Traction Control and stuff
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:51:58 -0800 (PST)
 Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net> wrote: ... ... I believe that F1 today is
beyond the capability of any human to do that many different functions, that
quickly. ... ... ... .
Russ,

I used to like Formula 1 a lot better back in the Sterling Moss and Phil Hill
days.  I could identify with what made the cars run, and what driving was like,
even though I only had a street legal sports car at the time.  The cars have
gotten so fast now that they are a machine of their own, not like race cars
used to be. (Duh - - you know what I mean.)  It's kinda like my perception of
flying.  Back when I was in high school, my friends dad owned a crop dusting
business in Florida.  He took me for a ride in one of his Stermans.  It was
awsome and I figured that being in a fighter plane would have to be the world's
most awsome experience.  WRONG!  Years later, I got my share of seat time in a
USAF jet fighter.  The Sterman was eas backon the stick, pull it one way, push
in the pedals, and feel the plane dramatically and gracefully respond to what
your input was.  The jet fighter - - hah - - sit tight, yank the stick this way
- -  count three - -  push - - count two, slap it to the left - - - all the
while your body subjected to such G-forces that you had absolutely no sensation
of what the plane was doing in the air until you came out of it and resumed
level flight and tried to look around to find the other plane.  No diving,
banking, climbing, swoopiness that you imagined.  Just like new F1 cars, no hee
and toe, burping the throttle, downshipting, sweeping around a turn - - - just
computers and science, guided by the driver and off-board telemetry, to make
the thing do things that rubber-tired automobiles ought not be able to do.
Still fun to wathc though, just to see how far they can go with this stuff.

Dick J