FW: ALL'S QUIET ON THE LSR FRONT ( ??? )

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: ALL'S QUIET ON THE LSR FRONT ( ??? )
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:47:32 -0600
Bruce;

I guess it's just a lull. I'm feeling a little chagrinned this afternoon.
While trial-fitting my Crower/Kinsler FI manifold on my SBC Donovan engine
this weekend, I saw that there was only one water crossover passage cast
into the manifold-- the other end was just a flat cover. I wondered how they
could get away with not running water into that end of the head and I stewed
over the problem for days. Finally, I thought I'd have to drill & tap that
end of the manifold for a big AN fitting so that I could run water into that
end of the head.

I stopped by Townsend's Racing Works to pick up some intake manifold gaskets
today and asked Frank Townsend about how there could be no water passage in
one end of the manifold and he said that the SBC doesn't circulate water
into that end-- he explained that the only reason there is a water passage
on both ends of a Chevy head is that they are made symmetrical and that way
they can be installed without regard to left/right.

Man, did I feel stupid!.......still do! Gotta find a coolant circulation
diagram.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ

BTW, I found this on the Stewart website:

"Stewart high-flow water pumps deliver up to 180 GPM (gallons per minute) of
coolant flow (at 8,000 RPM), yet consume just 2.26 horsepower (at 4,000
RPM)!"

and  "When using a mechanical fan, a properly designed shroud must be used.
Most mechanical fans are not designed for high RPM use: they can have
serious vibrations problems, due to air turbulence, when run over 6,500 RPM.
This is a turbulence problem, not a balance problem, and will destroy the
water pump and components in front of it. The large fans preferred by dirt
oval track racers can consume up to 18 horsepower at 6,500 RPM. Do NOT run a
mechanical fan that is any larger than required for the application."

Also:
Power Requirement in Horsepower
(Gallons Per Minute)
GPM      Competitor      Stewart DRV-8