Electric Vacuum pumps

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric Vacuum pumps
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:07:33 -0800
Many vehicles use them. The popular ones are on GM cars using LS-1's (???)
They are found in Camaros Firebirds, Corvettes, SS Impalas, Buicks etc.  They
are part of the emission system and reportably draw from the rear of the
intake where the old normal distributer fits.  GM lists 3 of the at a list
price near $210.  You can also buy them for about $140 at 3 amigos de las Pep,
the are Borg Warner products. I believe the  #'s are EC 1240, 1241, and 1242.
Volkswagen Jettas have them too look a little different but do the same thing
for the car.  I've heard it's for the "blowby" of an engine kinda like a
powered PVC valve but because of the electronics they needed to do it
differently.  I'd like to hear what they were really for.....I have always use
a converted AIR smog pump which is good.  The $3/400 Morosos are much better
because the can take the oil vapors better, something the Smog pumps were not
made to do.  Many cars used electiric vacuum pumps to operates power stuff
like the mercedes but I don't think anyone has tried to use them for a
pan-evac system yet?

I will be trying one of these "electric" vacuum pumps in 2003 because I can't
put a pulley on my balencer (regulated)  Good luck All     J.D.