Re: Dry sump

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dry sump
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:35:40 -0500
With hot oil and an engine up to temp i suspect the load is less by to
start. If I am wrong you will be hard pressed to to find an electric
motor with enough power to do this for 5 minutes and fit in the car or
worse yet bike.. I know companies like moroso and weaver have pump
dynos.. even if it is just for testing might ask them how big the
electric motor is on the dyno/test stand and what speed they run it
at..

I did a little math..
your 30 hp electric motor under ideal conditions needs 22371 watts
 (according to 'convert' a cute little program for swapping units..)

Last i knew   watts= amps X volts so  amps = watts/volts

22371/12 volts is 1864.25 amps.... so 12 volts is out.. as is 42..
at 240 volts you only need 93 amps.. or 20 12 volts batteries in series.. with
all the attendant losses of the battery internal resistance.

2 hp =1491 watts = 124 amps at 12 volts
1 hp = 62 amps at 12 volts
0.5 hp = 31 amps..
etc..

This brings up an interesting dilemma if the numbers are right. If you
are right and it takes that much power to turn the pump then it is
almost impossible to do practically. If I am right is is probably not
worth doing..

Dave