RE: Dry sump

To: rgribble <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Dry sump
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:48:17 -0700
Grib;
Perhaps I was too inexact by the term "easy" - it is a bit
relative. What I meant tho was the pump can be used to prime
the motor (when on a stand) by using a "speeder" with a 1/2
socket to turn the pump with little effort (there we go again
- effort - another relative term) I think the vacuum gauge is
a damn good idea.

Keith I know I have confused you with all these "reletive"
terms.... Just remember the Law of Reletivity - That silly
rule in Alabama that you can't marry your sister........
Ed (80 & sunny in the desert on Super Bowl Sunday)

>Ed & List,
>If this is academic to you sorry, I post if for whoever wants
to know.

>As you know the important function of the dry sump pump is to
keep the
>engine in oil pressure. You set that pressure at the pump and
it only
>needs to be minimal to get the job done. (minimal pressure
equates to
>less HP to drive the pump) However, to increase the HP of the
motor you
>need to pull a vacuum on the crankcase. More vacuum means
more HP, till
>you get to an amount that you start pulling oil past the
valves. Close
>tolerance on the Dry Sump Pump gears gets high vacuum ratings.
>If your pump spins freely when open to atmosphere, that's OK,
but not
>when it's hooked up to the lines. If you cap the suction
ports of the