RE: Aerodynamics

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Aerodynamics
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:13:25 -0500
Howard,

For the continuing thrash about this:
Can I infer from your message that there is an assumption that a
teardrop is the perfect shape?  I realize that the practicalities
of fitting an engine and driver into that shape will deform it
and induce additional drag.

I also agree with you that the frontal area will ultimately be
subject to the widest thing that has to fit into it (engine or
driver body part).

May I draw some general 'guidelines' from the list advice
on this issue?  (with commentary)

1. Frontal area needs to be kept to the absolute minimum;
This is critical.

2. Shape of the vehicle should be teardrop;
Extensions to the body shape should be limited,
The back slope of the body may have to be modified to prevent
lift, or another lift spoiling/counteracting mechanism must be fitted,
Some sort of stabilizing fin (or other mechanism) must be fitted
for directional stability. (I've read on this list that belly tanks
need this.)  Convergence rate on the back end needs to be the magic
6 degree angle curve.

3. Length of the vehicle should be minimized;
Stability considerations may require more than optimum length.

What else?

NT appears to run very close to the ground (almost a half teardrop).
Anyone like to comment on ground effect or compression of air under
the vehicle?

Thanks,
Jim.