Re: Exhaust/Engine Brakes

To: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust/Engine Brakes
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:32:21 -0800
Skip,

Of course you already know that there is no application for an exhaust
brake on a gasoline engine. Exhaust brakes are used on diesel engines
because there is no compression braking. Compression braking is natural
on a gasoline engine, but I have had a couple of vehicles, a 1984 GMC
with the 700-R4 trans that was in free wheeling when in OD, and I now
have a 2002 Trans AM that apparently has the same configuration. They
both gain speed on an "off throttle" downgrade unless back shifted to
direct drive. I suspect that your Dodge has a similar configuration.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC