Re: Topics...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Topics...
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 22:14:47 EST
drmayf@teknett.com writes:

<<
 Well, I decided today I woulkd not quit my day job for a TIG welding job.
 Next time someone is through here and knows how to weld aludimum including
 manifold cast aludimum, then stop and show me how. I weld "airon" pretty
 good, but that aludimum istoo tricky for me...

Mayf do you have the machine set up right. You need to be on AC with the High
Frequency on full time. You need about a 1/8 tungsten (pure tungsten works
better on aluminum) and a ball on the end. To ball your tungsten put your
machine on reverse polarity at a low amp setting and strike an arc this will
melt the end into a ball. If you touch your work when welding this
contaminates the tungsten and you need to grind off the contamination and
start the balling procedure over again. It takes a lot of amps to weld
aluminum and it is best to have a water cooled torch but it can be done with
an air cooled one. Take a bucket of water and put the torch head in it to
cool it down if you don't it will melt the hose. Take some plate and set up
your machine you can do it. Aluminum needs to be clean to weld.
Larry Mac