Re: Ice Intercooler

To: Glenn Ridlen <gridlen@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ice Intercooler
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 05:41:49 -0500
I have run them on drag cars and there is no such thing as too big. You should
not think in terms of how small can I make it but how much room do I have to add
more. Capacity, more is better. we use 15 gallons of ice water in a 1/4 mile
with 8 -10 lines feeding and the same going back to the tank.. it makes a huge
difference. It is all about air density and a roots type blower is the worst at
making heat and lowering the density. the compressor efficiency of a typical
roots setup is around 50% pretty disappointing compared to a turbo. You can and
will get 300 degree air from a roots at only 15 to 17 lbs of boost.
Personally a turbo is the smarter move in the long run as you have way less
intake heat to deal with. They ought to just put the roots deal back as a mine
ventilator a it is what is was designed to be..
Dave Dahlgren