Re: Studebaker

To: FastmetalBDF@aol.com, lsr350@hotmail.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Studebaker
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:15:41 -0800 (PST)
Gary,
I had a 1949 Studebaker Champion coupe when I was in college.  It had the
little flathead six and three speed with overdrive.  The car was in really good
shape, except that it had an external crack, about 4" long, on the outside of
the block and would hold no collant.  I tired of filling it twice a day (once
to go to school in the morning and again to come home in the afternoon.  It was
about a ten mile drive from the apartment to school through downtown Atlanta.
I decided to just quit adding coolant and drive it 'till it died.  I drove it
the rest of that term, and all the next.  I'd get to the parking lot at school
in the morning and it would smell like burning paint and be crackling and
popping as the hot iron cooled down.  I was told by classmates that it would
still be crackling and popping two to three hours after I'd parked it.  By the
end of classes, it had cooled down and I'd drive it home, letting it crackle
and pop for half the night until it was cool again in the morning.  That little
car never would give up.  I finally sold it after the end of the second term
for exactly the same price that I had paid for it. I hope it's been restored
and sits in a museum somewhere.  It deserved it.
Dick J in East Texas
(Had I known about JB Weld back then, the car would probably still be running
like a fine watch.) LOL