Re: Dry Lakes

To: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Dry Lakes
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:30:32 -0800
John
Not sure of the correct answer but I think pre WW ll they could run anywhere
they wanted, no BLM to dictate to the racers. It was always been wide open
around that time. When I went the 1st time in 1953 at El Mirage both SCTA &
Russetta ran on the lake bed. Muroc was closed in 1941. We returned 1996
and ran for 5 years. As far as Harper, Cuddy back or other dry lakes I think
distance and shortness of the lake bed as well as poor conditions have kept
us on El Mirage.
By the way we have looked at other dry lakes in Calif and Nevada other then
Blackrock and there isn't anything acceptable for high speed racing. Again
the access, the distance and closeness for any emergency dictates this.
There are not a lot of motels or camping areas around the other lakes.Like
ZERO.

Glen