Vortex generators

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vortex generators
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:41:01 -0700
List,

I had an interesting visit with Terry Nish today.  We were in his shop
looking at the streamliner and discussing the performance of the car at
Speedweek.  He was talking about the chute release and how the doors were
being pulled open by the turbulence behind the tail of the liner.  You may
remember that one of the runs was aborted when the chute came out
prematurely.

They solved the problem by installing an 11 X 5 (or so) strip of white
plastic, 2 rows deep with vortex generators, on either side of the car in
front of the chute tubes.  It not only solved the problem but the parachutes
opened and followed the car in perfect alignment without twisting or blowing
to either side as they had been doing.  Rick Vesco commented on how well
they were deploying.

Air management at the tail of the car may be greatly overlooked in the
safety and braking department.

Check it out at World of Speed.  Interesting little addition.

See you on the salt!

Wes