Re: Race Car Prep and Checklists

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Race Car Prep and Checklists
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:08:19 -0700
Keith,

Good to hear from you, you have been unusually quite for some time.

I am glad that you got to visit and kick back, but I agree that being
forced into that mode is not desirable.

One of the big negatives for me at the Salt is that I am usually
thrashing so hard that I don't take time to visit. It is amazing that I
have been at these meets for so many years and don't really know very
many people that come every year. Sure I recognize the name and may talk
briefly when we meet, but I don't know much about who they really are.
That is not my plan, it just seems to happen that way. I am sort of a
tunnel vision person and my mind is usually completely absorbed in the
task at hand.

I can tell you from experience that your plan to run the Maxton meets is
a wise decision. The more you run the car the more you find out about
what works and what should be put aside. The best laid plans are no
substitute for "real world" activity. When we were in Southern
California, I ran all the meets at the Lakes and did some 1/4 mile
action as well. We always ran well. When we came north and reduced our
running to once or twice a year, our performance was lacking. The best
thing that has happened for us is to be able to run multiple meets at
the Salt each year. To succeed in this arena, you can't just find a
combination and stick with it. If you do, soon you find yourself out of
the picture. There has to be constant Research & Development and the
only way most of us can accomplish that is to test the car on the track.

Here is what is going on with us...The positive things are, We have  a
new scoop configuration built, I have completed the new air box to fit
the 18 degree motor and the headers are suppose to be back from
Finishline Coating tomorrow. The down side is that the new motor is
still in many pieces. I trust that all the parts have been gathered
together and most of the machine work is done, but until it comes off
the Dyno, I won't know whether I will have it to run or will return with
the old reliable motor that we have run the last three years. What ever
happens, we plan to be having fun at the World of Speed. It will just be
more fun if we can reach our goal of putting Dan in the 200 MPH Club.

Hang in there Keith, it can only get better!

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC