Bonneville Salt Flats condition - vintage racers

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville Salt Flats condition - vintage racers
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 22:58:34 -0700
List,

USFRA President Gary Allen was on the salt this afternoon.  The puddle is
back at the end of the access road but the course and the proposed WoS pit
area is very dry to small puddles in the low spots.  Forecast is for
scattered showers over the state but the greatest precipitation is over the
Wasatch Mountains east of Brigham City - Ogden - Salt Lake City - Provo -
along I-15.  We needed some precipitation to help the salt heal from Speed
Week and to re-form the crystal structure in any loose salt.  Should be good
racing conditions unless we get some weird stuff from the south-west.  Ten
days before the pits open.

We will have some interesting vintage cars on the salt.  One is a
re-creation of the 12 cylinder Pierce Arrow that Ab Jenkins drove to 24 hour
endurance records in 1934.  The car has been built by students from
McPherson College in Kansas.  The Mormon Meteor III, restored and in running
condition will also be on the salt.  At this point, just the Pierce will be
running for top speed.  Ab Jenkins averaged 127.229 mph for 24 hours with
the original car.  Marv Jenkins is concerned about speed on the tires of the
Mormon Meteor III so his runs will be exhibition only.  Hearing that Curtis
Conqueror engine run is a treat.  Not something you'll forget very soon.
The restoration on the body of the car is beautiful too.

Some other exciting things will be happening.  More on those as things
solidify.

See you on the salt Sept. 19th.

Wes