Re: Traction Control

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Traction Control
From: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:34:23 -0400
I am absolutely in favor of a friendly chat over a cold
beer and intend this in that spirit.

I'm all for rules and will abide by them.

"every year Traction Control is discussed and
every year it's disallowed"

OK, but, WHY is it disallowed - what is the rationale behind
the decision?  (I think several of us have the same question)

I can't imagine the rules committee is saying NO just to be
arbitrary.  Is it the cost?  Is there something dangerous?
Are we worried that people will get in over their heads?
Is it of such competitive advantage that it negatively
impacts the low dollar racer and renders him non-competitive?
Is it just that we will all think we need it and it will
raise the cost of doing this?

I will be happy to live with the rules committee decision,
but I would like to know the reason it was made.  I will
abide with the rules committee decision even if I disagree
with the reason. (Or even if I know that the rules
committee found the issue so difficult that they could not
come to a decision - and disallowed by default.)  I s'pose
I have a bit of a problem if the rules committee says NO
but won't tell me why - but I'll live with that as well.

Ultimately, I guess that I'm just curious.

I thought Malcolm's point about competition racing vs.
record setting was interesting.

And to all those who serve on the rules committee,
THANK YOU!

Jim.

P.S.  I sent a quick question on this to Dan, but also
indicated that I understood the volunteer nature of the
rules committee and would expect a reply only if his time
allowed.