Re: C4 upshift

To: "Dave Seely" <dseely@sginet.com>
Subject: Re: C4 upshift
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:55:51 -0500
At 07:36 AM 6/25/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Sorry, it's election day here and politics are on this Libertarian's mind.
>Dave Seely

ahhh you will then appreciate the Associated Press report of the FBI asking
public libraries for list of books that you have read......REMEMBER,  it is
now a crime to have any knowledge.......got any Thomas Paine writings in
your personal library? The FBI also has the right to enter your house
without telling you to discover whatever information you have in your
house, computer, phone lines, personal library....we MUST give up personal
freedom to remain safe?......I believe I'll protect myself, I am aware that
I have personal responsibility for my own life, under the U.S.
Constitution, and I do not wish to relinquish any personal rights for a
bureaucratic governments' secretly decreed "safety"....

WASHINGTON AP By Christopher Newton Associated Press Writer Monday, June
24, 2002; 5:38 PM---The FBI is visiting libraries nationwide and checking the
reading records of people it suspects of having ties to terrorists or
plotting an attack, library officials say.

The FBI effort, authorized by the antiterrorism law enacted after the Sept.
11 attacks, is the first broad government check of
library records since the 1970s when prosecutors reined in the practice for
fear of abuses.

The Justice Department and FBI declined to comment Monday, except to note
that such searches are now legal under the
Patriot Act that President Bush signed last October.

Libraries across the nation were reluctant to discuss their dealings with
the FBI. The same law that makes the searches legal
also makes it a criminal offense for librarians to reveal the details or
extent.