Re: Flathead MSD ignition

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flathead MSD ignition
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:32:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/20/2002 5:06:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
saltracer@hotmail.com writes:

> I checked the
> timing the way we had been running the car and the total timing at 3500 rpm
> was around 30 degrees. At a pretty fast 1500 rpm idle it was around 15
> degrees. I advanced the timing and it seemed to create a stumble from idle.
> Phil

Phil,
    Sounds like you had it pretty close with the advance all done at 3500
RPM. I always figured that it should be in by 3000 RPM. When you advanced it
you just ended up with more total advance. I've always figured that on a
Flatty the centrifugal advance was more to facilitate starting the engine
than anything to do with performance.
    The Flathead guys seem to run between 22 deg. and 28 deg total advance.
The 30 deg. might be hurting you in LSR, where you're running long distances
under a heavy load. The greater the advance past what the torque peaks at,
the more detonation problems you're courting.
                                          Ardun Doug